3.31.2015

Project Read || March Wrap-Up

Hey, everyone!  I'm still going strong on my Project Read, although this month was a close one - I managed to squeeze in two books last week to eeeeek out my three for the month.  Here's what I read this month:


Dark Places by Gillian Flynn – So…I love Gillian Flynn books, but I will admit they are not for everyone.  They are dark and they are graphic.  And I’m not usually a dark girl, but I just really love her books for some reason.  Dark Places was no exception.  Dark Places is the story of Libby Day.  Libby was seven years old when her mother and two sisters were brutally murdered.  She managed to escape and later testified that it was her brother, Ben, who murdered them.  As an adult, she meets a group of people who are obsessed with the case of her family’s murder…and they don’t think Ben did it.  Soon they have Libby questioning everything about the case and she becomes desperate to find out what really happened the day her family was killed.  This story is told from the perspective of present-day Libby, 1980s Ben, and 1980s Patty Day (Libby’s mom).  If you love dark thrillers, I highly recommend this book!

The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell – How does one unknown author create a bestseller?  How did “Sesame Street” become so successful?  How did hush puppy shoes become so popular?  Gladwell answers all these questions and more in The Tipping Point.  This book talks about the factors that create a “social epidemic” – those little things that happen that make something ordinary tip into something extraordinary.  It’s a fascinating read filled with multiple case studies that will leave you thinking about ways to create your own epidemic to better the world.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell – This book was recommended to me last month by Stephanie Ho and I am so glad that I took her recommendation to heart.  After reading the other two books this month, I was looking for something light-hearted, fun and most importantly feel-good.  This book certainly hit the mark.  Lincoln is the internet security officer for a newspaper, which basically means he reads people’s emails while working the night shift.  If someone uses a word that is suspicious, the email gets flagged, Lincoln reads it and then sends a warning.  However, when the system flags an email between Beth & Jennifer, he has no desire to send them a warning; he finds their emails to be entertaining and funny.  As the emails progress he finds himself actually falling for Beth, without even knowing what she looks like.  This is such a cute, cute story and highly recommended.  In fact, it was so cute and fun that I finished it in just two days!!

As always, I am open to suggestions - please let me know: what should I read this year??

4 comments:

Cook Scrap Craft said...

I've never heard of The Tipping Point or Attachments, but they sound good, and I might recommend them to my book club! Dark Places is on my to-read list. The only Gillian Flynn I've read is Gone Girl.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhh these sound GOOD!! And I have to recommend one to you, provided to me by another bloggy friend ... "The Martian: A Novel" by Andy Weir!!!! Absolutely THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER EVER EVER READ!!! Hands down, the BEST!!! And I read a book a day .. so that is saying something!! Seriously .. if you haven't already ... read it!!! :)

Nicole Martel said...

I'm still going strong with the Outlanders series. :) On book 6 right now. I have a whole list of books I want to read... :)

Nicole Martel said...

I'm still going strong with the Outlanders series. :) On book 6 right now. I have a whole list of books I want to read... :)